Monday, April 16, 2012

Day In Boston

Yesterday I spent the day in Boston. It was a grand day! Since it was the day before the Boston Marathon there a bajillion runners out, well of course running! I wish I could of been running this year but it was great to be ale to soak up the envrioment once again. The day went something like this: 1:15 am*Dropped off in Burlington to catch bus to Boston 2:15 am*Supposed to leave now, where is the bus? 3:00am*No Really…WHERE IS THE BUS?!?!?!?! 3:30&*stil no bus in Burlington..maybe I should start walking…. 3:55 am* called temple to come pick me up, will just catch the next one… 4:00 am- What is that? The bus!! Finally only 2 hours late. Called temple to cancel the pick up, boarded the bus in relief and proceeded to sleep the entire 5 hour drive down to Boston. 9:00 am-Arrive at South Station, got on red line to Kendall square. 9:30 am-Start walking from train to the hotel where I met up with Coach Bro and Doug 9:45 am-Thankfully ran into them on the way, didn’t really know where I was going. 10:00 am-Dropped my stuff off in the room then went for a short, fast run with marathoner Doug! Was nice to finally run with someone again! 11:30-Headed out to lunch with coach and doug. I have had so many fancy meals in the last week! 12:30-3:30-Walked around Boston doing touristy things, Quincy Market, the wharf, ice cream break, Bill Rodgers running store, Boston massacre, Boston tea party, and got really familiar with the underground train/subway system. Since Doug was running the next day and they had already been to the expo we split ways until after dinner 3:30-Walked to the Marathon expo. It was huge! There was all sorts of stuff to look at! The highlight of the expo was running into this guy!!
I was shocked when I first saw him, DEAN KARNAZES just because he was walking around like any normal runner. I kind of followed him from a distance to make sure it was actually him then mustered up the courage to say hello and ask for a picture! He is a super chill person and was quick to remind me that he was only a runner! I am not normally star shocked around “famous” people but it was really neat to say that I have met this incredible athlete in person! He is someone I really admire just for his incredible abilities to persevere! 5:30 pm-Headed back to hotel then went out in search of an Ethiopian restaurant. Got on a random shuttle and talked to a lady about my year in Ethiopia. She gave me a tip on where to go eat, which is right where the shuttle was going, pretty cool! Enjoyed an amazing feast of injera and shiro. Malkem Fasika! 7;30- Headed back to hotel and went on a nice walk along the river, it was a beautiful day! 8:00-Talked marathon training with Coach and Doug for a little bit before heading back to South Station to catch my overnight bus! 11:00 pm. Finally a long and eventful day came to a close. It was fun to explore Boston and even better to see old friends but I am thankful that I live in the peaceful countryside, big city living is not for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment