Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 23: Childhood Memories

Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.

Only 3!?

 I had a fun childhood. I think I spent a majority of it outside playing in the dirt, climbing trees, picking stickers out of my bare feet, battling ear infections and playing with the boys! Dolls and playing dress up were not my scene, probably not surprising.

Significant Memory #1-Going to Summer Camp!!!!
I absolutely loved camp. I could write an entire blog post about it but instead I will just say that my years as a camper changed my life and seeing as how i have been working at camp for the last 9 summers now I would say the impact has been a lasting one! I used to cry my eyes out when I had to leave, was all about living at the horse barn, loved my counselors (a few who I still keep in touch with to this day!) had the usual girl crushes on "the dreamy boys counselor" (especially Mark, oh lala :-), would have my suitcase packed a week before I left, and jumped at the first chance I had to work at camp! So many great memories come from camp, one place where I have really come to know how truly amazing God is!

Significant Memory #2 My 10th Birthday Party!!!!
This is something my sister and I have gotten to tease dear old Mom about since we were 10, the birthday that she forgot to bring the candles for out birthday cakes! We had the most awesome birthday party. It was at the bowling ally. We had all of our friends there, the bowling place gave us each a personalized happy birthday bowling pin, and we were a whopping 1 decade old! We were good sports and blew out our pretend candles and it was still a fun party, even without the candles!

Significant Memory #3 My Pet Chickens!!!
3rd grade was probably my favorite year of elementary school because I had a spectacular teacher who not only taught me how to tolerate writing in cursive but who let us incubate chicken eggs! The anticipation of those little buggers hatching was so exciting! I remember being there the night that they started  to peck and peep there little cute heads out of the shells, the miracle of life happened right in front of my eyes!!! Sleeping that night was tough because I wanted to be there to watch the rest of them hatch. Trying to focus the next day at school proved to be a challenge. They stayed in a big cardboard box for about a week under a heat lamp until they were old enough to go home! I was so excited to bring my Rhode Island red chick, whom I named Buddy, home! Buddy turned out to be a hen and layed awesome eggs for 3 years. After a while we adopted 2 more chickens, Blackie and Pooster the Rooster! Those were the tamest chickens you have ever seen. They would jump up into my arms, ride on my shoulder and would even tolerate swimming in the lake! They were probably part duck! We had the chickens for about 3 years and i remember how sad I was when they died (mean dogs!) Having chickens, and pets in general was a great memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment