Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 2: Three Fears....

Day 2: Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.

Before I start I wish could make this blog short by simply writing that I always remember passage from Isaiah 41:9-11 and that my life was peachy keen because of it but I am human and sometimes forget.
This is a tough one for me. Not to think of what things I am afraid of but to actually admit that I am frightful of things in this world. I know I am not really afraid of typical things such as snakes, spiders, creepers, heights, loud noises, etc. I suppose a few things I fear are....

1. Disappointing/Letting People Down:
This is something I have had to work on since I know no matter how hard I try I can't please everyone. I have found this to be especially true being a teacher and basketball referee. I am not sure when this became a fear, I just know I have always aimed to make people happy and when I can't always do something up to their standards it frustrates me. When, even after doing my very best, I can't succeed.

2. The Unknown:
This is a pretty cliche thing to fear but it is something that indeeds frightens me! I recently read Scaredy Squirrel, a very animated children's book that pertains to this similar topic. Not knowing what the future holds down to the minute or not having a "plan", totally goes against my love for writing out to-do lists and living by a structured routine. I am experiencing this currently, as I have no clue where God wants me to go next year. Do I stay in New England? Do I start teaching in a public school? Do I go back to school to start on a masters degree? Do I go back into the mission field overseas somewhere? What I have learned along the way in overcoming this fear is to keep walking forward in prayer and if God is standing behind those doors they will open in his perfect timing. In the meantime being able to trust God 100% not just 95% with my life crucially important.

3. Not Fearing the Lord:
Yes a fear about not fearing. If there is one thing in this world I wish I was more afraid of it would be fearing God. Not in the "ahh scary monster" type of way but in the way that is described in Proverbs 8:13 "To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech." Here is an interesting article I came across that offers more substance about this fear.
If only I could continuously fear God enough to have a clear vision about the world and the purpose for my life in it. If I could just put all the petty things aside that hinder my walk with God, things that make me less fearful of him then how much easier and more content my life would be? I don't want comfort and easiness to settle in that causes me to abandon this crucial fear.

There you go, a VERY in-a-nutshell-version of my fears!

No comments:

Post a Comment