Friday, May 11, 2012

Letter C

C is for Covered Bridge!





There are many beautiful, unique, and historical covered bridges around this state. I have seen several while driving from place to place and it is always fun to add them to the list when I do spot a bridge! I feel that covered bridges add in perfectly to the quaint, country living picture that most of Vermont paints in my mind!  This website lists all the covered bridges in Vermont. I hope to see a few more before I leave. The 1st and 3rd photo are pictures of a local covered bridge right in town. The 2nd photo was taken during a school canoe trip down the Connecticut river back in September. That bridge is particular It is the longest wooden bridge in the US and the longest two-span covered bridge in the world. I think this statement on a website dedicated to Vermont covered bridges says it perfectly:

 "this tour will take you back to a time when covered bridges were seen as a necessity rather than a quaint structure. Crossing a covered bridge is like entering a portal of time, transporting you back to the days of horse & buggy. Vermont's covered bridges span time and progress, linking more than just the opposite banks of a river or stream"

No comments:

Post a Comment