Sunday, October 3, 2010

Collecting Trophies

I have a confession to make. What I am about to write may come as a surprise to some. Sometimes (a lot of times) I find myself getting frustrated when it seems as sometimes all some people associate me with is the fact that I am a good runner. Should it annoy me that some people don't seek to know me as whom I am as a person instead of what I do? At the same time some (and I) may wonder why I would be frustrated with being known for something that is good and positive. A lot of times with this mindset, I feel like I am fleeing from the gifts and abilities that God has blessed me with. I simply love to run and I sometimes I like to race and compete but when I do it seems like it gives people another reason to glorify me and not the one who should really be given the credit. If I am using the gifts God has blessed me with then it shouldn't feel like a burden to be classified as "the girl who runs." Right?

While talking with a good friend earlier about my "frustrations" she helped me to look at my situation from a whole new perspective. My biggest goals and ambitions in life is to go out in the mission field and serve God through my actions and the abilities that he gives me whether that be teaching, preaching, or just lending a helping hand. Yet I know that there is work to be done here right here, right now while I wait for God to lead me where he wants. So while I am waiting, why not turn the situations of when people are admiring me for what I can do and reverse it for a chance to glorify God?

Instead of collecting trophies and peoples admiration and just letting them sit on a shelf to collect dust, could it be so, that I have a perfect opportunity to collect trophies in the form of souls for Christ simply by using the talents and abilities he has blessed me with? Instead of running from the gifts God has given me, I need to start doing a better job of giving God the complete glory for my success and ability because without God's leading I could just be a lump of bones and skin. He didn't have to give me the ability to run but he did so I owe it to him to cash in on the frequent opportunities I have via encounters with people and take the time to glorify God and tell people just how great and amazing he is. Because he is and I am so thankful!

PS(I am thankful and appriciative for all the kinds words and I won't stop being your friend if you decide you want to compliment me on the talents God has given me :-)

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, You have many talents and God will use you when you are willing to be used by Him!!! :) Lisa (P.S. Keep running!! :) It is good for your health and stress!!!)

    ReplyDelete