Friday, September 24, 2010

Perspective of a 1st Grader

Lunch was different today. Normally I will eat with the 3rd and 4th graders after my 3rd morning class but today I had 3rd period off so I decided to dine with a class of 1st graders. I don't always say alot so I won't be a distraction to the students eating but today I wish I would of said more.

Within the particular group I was eating with, one little boy was offending the girl sitting next to him because of taking the name of God in vain by saying "Oh my god." The girl then proceeded to ask me if it was alright that the little boy was saying that particular phrase. I paused to think of how I could simply state what I believed without going outside "the lines" of what I'm allowed and not allowed to say while in a public school setting. It was really hard let me tell you. All I have wanted to do here for weeks, especially to students that I know have rough family lives, is to tell just how amazing Jesus is and how much he loves each and every one of them. How they are his children and how he died on the cross so they may have eternal life! I told the little girl that because of what I believe that I do not say things like that and that I prefer to lift up the name of Jesus in a positive light. She then carried on with her conversation with the boy, informing him that he should believe in God because he is the one who created us and loves us. I was blown away by her tact and confidence in sharing what she believed and that she wasn't afraid to share her faith with the little boy. Even though she was not a Seventh Day Adventist, I sensed a seed that was growing inside her walk with the Lord that hopefully will flourish and grow stronger throughout her life. I was given a good example today of what it means to share Jesus with others and how simple it should be to stand firm in what I believe in.

1 comment:

  1. That's really awesome. We can all learn a lesson from that experience.

    ReplyDelete