Monday, September 13, 2010

This Little Light Of Mine

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" Psalms 119:105



This morning during my pre dawn trail run the lyrics to one of my favorite childhood songs stuck out in my head as my feet clogged along with all the early morning coordination that could be mustered. I thought it would a good safe idea to run with my trusty headlamp in order to prevent tripping over large rocks, roots, and holes that lay in the dark woods of white oak mountain. I started up University Drive with my light turned off seeing as how the street lights sufficiently illuminated my path. When I entered the trail head the cover of trees stole away any source of natural or artificial lighting therefore making it very dark. I clicked my light on to the brightest setting, expecting to have a steady strong beam of light to guide my path. For some reason however, I only saw a faint trickle as I clicked repeatedly to get the desired brightness from my Black Diamond torch. After more tinkering, my final verdict was that the batteries simply needed to be changed in order for my feet to be guided down the path with steady assurance.

I continued onward ever so precariously. Although the sun soon came up over the horizon and my way then was lit by the early morning sunbeams, it made me slow down and think how my lack of a steady light could be applied to my everyday Christian walk. Although I had the physical light I needed and I desired to use it to light my path, I had not taken the proper care to make sure that the source fueling my light was ready and charged.

It was a good reminder to see if even for this day if my own inner light, the light that is powered by my relationship with God had sufficient enough power to shine brightly outwards to all the souls I would encounter for the day, not to mention tomorrow, next week, and next year!

I believe the Lord equips all those who seek him with a light, a source to shine outwards the amazing glory of his grace and power. "The followers of Christ are to be the light of the world; but God does not bid them make an effort to shine. He does not approve of any self-satisfied endeavor to display superior goodness. He desires that their souls shall be imbued with the principles of heaven; then, as they come in contact with the world, they will reveal the light that is in them. Their steadfast fidelity in every act of life will be a means of illumination." The Ministry of Healing-P. 3

It is my desire to continuously give everything up to God and his purpose for my life and not rely on my own well meaning but vain ambition to shine. By letting go I will be able to more effectively let my shine till Jesus comes, have the wisdom to not hid it under worldly bushes, and to never ever let Satan blow out my light!

No comments:

Post a Comment