Monday, October 25, 2010

Ambition

I know that running an ultra race is a potentially hazardous activity.  I should not enter and run unless I am medically able and properly trained.  I agree to abide by any decision of race officials relative to my ability to safely complete the run.  I assume all risks associated with running this event including, but not limited to, falls, traffic and conditions of the road, contact with other participants, injuries or illness from animals or plants, the effects of weather and all risks associated with event participation.  Having read this waiver and knowing these facts and in consideration of you accepting my entry, I, for myself and anyone entitled to act on my behalf, waive and release the Georgia Ultrarunning and Trail Running Society (GUTS), the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA), The Georgia State Park System, FD Roosevelt State Park, and the State of Georgia, and any and all committees, officers, employees, and sponsors related to the the race, all city, county and state governments, all race officials and agents, all sponsors, their representatives and successors from all claims or liabilities of any kind arising out of my participation in this event even though that liability may arise out of negligence or carelessness on the part of persons named in this waiver.  I understand that all entries are final with no refunds.  The official race director reserves the right in any event of emergency or local or national disaster to cancel the race or to change the day and or time to a later day and that in the event of cancellation or change there is no refund of entry fees. The right to reject any entry or to issue special invitation is reserved.

I took time to read this race waiver very carefully.

I am now officially entered to "participate" in the Pine Mountain 40 mile trail run(walk/crawl)! I am still wondering if I actually pressed the submit payment button. I did. I have been going back and forth endlessly about whether or not I should or can complete this, my first ultra marathon! The Boston Marathon is full, so i figured this would be my next best option. It is only 40 miles right? Right. It will be 40 miles of running in my element; fresh air, sunshine, and trees. It will be 40 miles being connected with God, for the wilderness is when I sense his presence on the closest level. What an amazing adventure it will be. 40 miles.

As one may expect the next few weeks leading up to December 5 will be a fury of training and preparing for this race the best I know how to prepare. Hopefully it will involve having lots of fun too! If anyone would like to give me any tips for success or better yet join me, even for short segments of my training journey, it would be much appreciated!

Pine Mountain ready or not here I come!

3 comments:

  1. I have been reading a lot of the information on this ultramarathon site:

    http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info Andrew, I am sure it will come in handy(or footie--ha!) as I train for this beast of a race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, YOU ARE READY!! Tell yourself that when doubts come a'creepin'. There are choices we make and chances we take when we go for big leaps. This is your limb that you've gone out on. nervousness is obvious, second guesses are expected, but if you tell your heart that you will finish, that you MUST finish, you can't go wrong. As you're preparing and when you run think of and revel in God's awesome creation and the fact that your body can be pushed to the limit, AND TAKE IT! How amazing is that. Pretty Amazing!

    ReplyDelete