Monday, November 8, 2010

Encouraging Words

Ephesians 4:29

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.
"

Encouraging words are nice. I found this to be true after an especially rough day of student teaching towards the beginning of my second placement at OMS. This day in particular I felt really tired and overwhelmed. I was having a hard time getting used to a new school and my lesson over how to kick a soccer ball seemed really bland and was not captivating my students attention the way it should have been.

To top it all off, my academic adviser was there that very class period to observe me and my teaching ability, or seemingly lack there of. Dr. Colon could tell I was under a lot of stress so she pulled me aside to talk. She gave me the typical rundown of what things I could improve upon and some of the things she thought I did well but I mostly felt defensive and grumpy. A few tears were shed but they didn't really seem to help. I just wanted the day to be over!

Later that day Dr. Colon emailed me a copy of the evaluation form for me to keep. In the message area she included six words. Six simple words but the six words I really needed to hear that day. You will be a great teacher! It really helped to change my outlook and arrive at school the next day more refreshed and ready to improve. My days teaching still aren't perfect. I still make mistakes and experience frustration but I know with a few encouraging words I can make it!

Encourage those around you, it really makes a big difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment