Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday in Ethiopia

Today was the first Black Friday in several years that I did not get up at 4 am to go shopping, or in my case people watching, with all my cousins. It is a tradition of sorts in my family to go through all the sale ads in the paper after we eat our thanksgiving meal. While the football games are playing on TV, the girl cousins scour through all the money-making schemes on paper, seeing what stores would be best to visit first in the bustling predawn hours of Black Friday.

Two years ago in Ethiopia, Black Friday was also much more relaxing like today. My journal helped me recollect that I was at Gimbie Adventist Hospital visiting for Thanksgiving. I remember getting up early to go for a run through the hilly countryside around Gimbie with Joel. The rest of the day was spent cooking for the Sabbath Thanksgiving meal, after all what could better then having two thanksgiving meals?! Some of us SMs from Southern and Walla Walla went into town and bought pastries and I guess after that we lounged around the house and watched a movie. I helped paint a ward in the hospital and that night we had a lovely vespers service over at the house of one of the American families working at the hospital. It was a simple day but fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment