Friday, December 17, 2010

Being Bold.....Like a Duck



“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I have been around Southern for a while now, there is one iconic image that will always linger in the fringes of my memory. The ducks. Why the ducks?

Over the years, during each trip I have made past the duck pond whether that be by car, bike, or foot, I have noticed a certain gumption that those ducks have. The ducks are not afraid to stick out and be different. Countless times I have observed the ducks smack dab in the middle of the road, proclaiming the right to cross to the other side, taking their time, seemingly unaware that the cars zooming by could squash them in an instant. Just this morning as I was driving to work I saw one of the white feathered creatures hanging out on the road, sipping water from a small pothole. The fact that this duck was choosing to drink from a hole in the middle of the busy road instead of from his large pond, which is a far waddle away from the danger of cars, is pretty amazing to me.

After driving far around this particular dehydrated duck to get to work, I got to thinking--What if more Christians or what if I were as bold as this duck? What would happen if instead of sticking by our own ponds, in our secure comfort zones to share the love of Christ, we ventured out to the more treacherous areas to spread the word? The lyrics to one of my favorite camp songs helps remind me that even in times of danger, doubt, and fear God is always there.

Be bold, be strong
For the Lord your God is with you
Be bold, be strong
For the Lord your God is with you
I am not afraid
I am not dismayed
Because I'm walking in faith and victory
Come on and walk in faith and victory
For the Lord your God is with you


In the end times I believe we as Christians will be placed in situations like the ducks where we will have to choose to either stay in our safe bubbles or be bold and venture out in the world and proclaim the love of God to those who do not know him, even if that means being ridiculed or condemned. In the end being bold for the Lord may come at a cost but the reward received, eternal life, is priceless!


No comments:

Post a Comment