Thursday, August 12, 2010

Learning Chinese!

In my first couple days of teaching I have already learned about different languages. For example,during the first week of school the kindergarten kids take turns coming to school (have to learn to share at an early age I guess) to help "phase themselves in" to being a full time student. They learn about nap time, snack time, the rules of the school, and all the other fun stuff like music class and PE of course. So everyday for a week during my 5th rotation I get to go around with a new group of bright shining faces so they can learn about all the "related arts" of Apison Elementary. During music class they learn how to sing a song in Spanish about the music they can make from their bodies. The lovely tune is called "Mi Cuerpo." There is lot's of clapping, la-la-la-ing, and cha-cha-cha-ing. I think after a few more days in kindergarten maybe I will be able to sing the whole song :-)

Apparently my last name is tricky to pronounce for some. Whenever I tell the kids my name for the first time I always get confused stares. Miss Mar-lee-eh...?? What is a Marlier? After the first group or so I decided to quiz them and see if they could guess what language my last name was. I got really interesting responses/guesses....Spanish, English, Canadian (yes!!), German, and the best of all...Chinese!gotta love 1st graders! I have never thought of myself to be of Asian heritage but maybe it could work :-)



P.S.--> for those wondering my last name is not actually Chinese, it is French!

No comments:

Post a Comment