Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Nana

Nana passed away today. Nana wasn't my "real" grandma but after my grandma died last year she officially adopted me as one of her own “kids” even though she already held a special place in my heart long before that. Nana was one of the sweetest, kindest, caring, most sincere, loving, saintly women I have ever met. She always had a smile on her face and it always seemed like she was laughing about something especially when Timothy George was around :-)

That was the Nana I knew. Happy, with a heart full of Christ centered love. I loved watching her interact with young and old alike at potlucks, social functions, and at the Ellers home when Shama and Phoebe would bring a car load or two of friends down to Georgia for the weekend. When she wasn't giving someone wise advice she sometimes sat quietly and observed. That’s how I think she got to know us the best.

Nana was always one of my favorite people to sit next to at SAU orchestra concerts and Friday night hymn sings. Nana had the right idea when she would simply close her eyes and listen to the music around her. Nana always requested the most amazing hymns when it was her turn to pick and would also contribute beautifully with her voice or with her amazing piano playing ability. Nana always supported us crazy college kids in any way she could, even those who she only knew for a short time. The thing that meant the most to me was that I always knew she was praying for us!

Nana was a great cheerleader. Even though she couldn't physically run trail races or triathlons with me she would always wish me luck, say an extra prayer, and call me crazy :-) Nana was on my prayer list while I was running my first ultra marathon back in December.

Nana will be sorely missed by me and everyone that was fortunate enough to have been around her. The world won't be the same without her but I am reassured, when I remember that Jesus is coming soon! If there was a heaven on earth, nana would already be there. I can't wait for the day when I can give her a big hug and find something to laugh and smile about. That first Friday night hymn sing will be the best ever and maybe, just maybe, I will have ability to play the piano like Nana. Better yet I think I will just listen :-)

5 comments:

  1. Nana was a really special person. She always reminded me that she prayed for me every day, too. What a blessing her life was. Thanks for your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss, Jessica, but glad for all the ways she enriched your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really great when God blesses us with really amazing people that touch and take a place in our hearts. People like your Nana remind us that there are still many good things on Earth worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She surely was a blessing from God--one that I miss very much. I'm so thankful for the blessed hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too shamie dear, me too! I miss nana so much!

    ReplyDelete